[Sca-cooks] Period pretzel recipes?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 12 18:47:15 PDT 2006

There are some recipes in Rumpolt, but they are for sweet pretzels, rather
than the bread pretzels of which you are probably thinking.  Here are couple
of translations by Thomas Gloning:

55. Take white flour, only the white of eggs and some wine, sugar and

anise, prepare a dough with these ingredients, roll the dough with clean

hands such that it becomes longish and round. Make small pretzels from

it and put them into a warm oven and bake them so that you do not burn

it but that they get pretty dry. This way, they will become crisp and

good. If you like, you may take cinnamon as an ingredient for the dough,

too (but you can leave it). This dish is called Precedella.

57. Take sugar and rosewater, boil up [together], so that it becomes not

too thick, stir grated almonds into this boiled sugar, take it from the

fire when it is well dried. When you take it away, take one to three

spoons of good white pounded sugar, stir it into the almonds, make this

almond dough longish with your hands, strew white sugar onto it on the

upper and the lower side, so that nothing sticks to your hands. And when

you have made it longish, form small pretzels from it, put them into a

warm oven and bake them quite slowly, they will get a fine white color.

And they are called Precedella made of almonds. (Rumpolt 1581, fol.

169b, #57)

For more information, take a look in the Florilegium at:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pretzels-msg.html

Bear