[Sca-cooks] fritters!

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 12 21:24:27 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
up adding a
little water to make it more like batter and less like goo. Large eggs,
because that's what I had.

Due to a complete lack of measuring equipment, what I did was to crack
three* eggs in a bowl, mix them well, add some sugar and cinnamon and mix
well. Then I added flour in small amounts until it reached what I
considered an appropriate batter-like consistency, then I added that
aforementioned small amount of water so that the batter had a chance of
actually sticking to the sage and apples rather than just to itself.
<<SNIP>>

Frictella from Apples

Morsels of apple that have been cleaned and cored, you fry in liquamen or
a little oil, and spread them on a board so that they dry. Then roll them
in a preparation such as we described earlier and fry again.  < < < < <

Ya' know, I have been doing lots of poking around with fried dough variants
recently aty my shop, using my overfermented pizza dough instead of trashing
it.  I bring this up because when I read the translation of Platina, I see
in my brain, diced, or at least hacked up, bits of apple kneaded into a
softish dough/batter mutant and dropped by spoofuls into hot oil.  I can see
that same process with the sage leaves.  The frittour resulting would be
denser, maybe, and certainly start off tighter than a batter to dip things
in for coating.

Definitely a fun post to see your reading and preparation of the same
recipes.  I would not have thought to loosen and dip as you did, and it
could send my into another round of mad experimentation with artichoke
hearts or some sort of vegetable I can find in the Platina text (I have
markahm's translation too).  Mine won't be documentably extant in the
corpus,. but could be darned fine eating and sellable!

niccolo difrancesco