[Sca-cooks] Fantasy foods

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 13 12:27:29 PDT 2006

>Lisa wrote:
>> Hmmm good question... from description it sounds similar to a meatball, but
>> at the same time, it's a travel food, so I'd suspect that it's dried or
>> jerked before being made into a meatroll?  Either that or they're calling
>> two different things, a dried or jerked travel roll and a ball of raw meat,
>> by the same name?
>>
>> Elizabeta
>>
>I dunno...I somehow got the feeling that they were meat in some kind of
>a pastry wrapper...sort of like a hotdog but real meat rather than
>whatever stuff.  And they were the kind of thing that, once cooked,
>could be eaten at any time, sort of like a pastie.
>
>Kiri

Finally!  something I can talk about!
There are some recipes in the DLG (Dragonlover's Guide to Pern.) "Hearty Herdbeast Stew" is just a beef stew, "Benden Baklava" is just baklava made with sugar syrup instead of honey (which the Pernese don't have), bubbly pies/tarts are just berry pies. Meatrolls aren't included, but Anne has said they're sausage rolls.

Some think they are something like Kolaches - ground meat sandwiched in bread dough and baked.  Others think it is a short crust with a whole, heavily spiced sausage in the middle - which would keep edible when cold.

But I'll go find my DLG tonight and let you know what I find!

Vitha