[Sca-cooks] Fantasy foods was Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 5, Issue 43

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Wed Sep 13 13:20:51 PDT 2006

If I remember correctly, wherries were an indigenous animal, along with the
fire lizards.  I do believe that they supposedly resembled turkeys in some
ways, but weren't quite what we considered fowl.  In the books where they
had just landed, they called animals by their acutal names, horses, cattle,
sheep, etc... I suspect that the idea is that when they lost so many people
to the beginnings of thread and later to plague/flu epidemics, they also
lost a lot of history and things were called by descriptors rather than
names.  Herdbeasts would cover all herd type animals, runnerbeasts would
cover all the different breeds of horses, etc.  They went from a very high
technological start to a basic living needs agrarian society.

Elizabeta