[Sca-cooks] Period pretzel recipes?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 14 04:10:37 PDT 2006

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> So, is this recipe mid-18th century? Or are you saying there is
> evidence for sweet Dutch pretzels but no recipe shows up until the
> mid-18th century?
>

> She doesn't say in the actual recipe section. My guess it may be period but the actual printed recipe is later. There are a number of people working on Dutch translations but I didn't find this recipe yesterday when I browsed their pages. I did attempt to find a period recipe or mention. Perhaps someone in Europe will see this and post something more on the topic. We have evidence that they appeared in Dutch paintings. Someone was making them. Or it could be that the earliest surviving recipes are in the first printed texts and nothing appears earlier in manuscripts or bakery records.
> In a later message you give:
> "Food historian Peter G. Rose, co-author of Matters of Taste, Food and
> Drink in Seventeenth-Century Dutch Art and Life"
>
> So 17th century, not mid-18th. so I'm a bit confused.

That was from their write-up in Dayton for the upcoming Rembrandt show.

The original exhibit featured Dutch paintings from US Museums. Most of
those are 17th century. It also
featured details about Dutch life in what is now New York in the 17th
century.
"This unique exhibition presents fifty-six extraordinary 17^th century
Dutch paintings together for the first time ever in America, and will
only be on view at the Albany Institute of History & Art."
You have to read the descriptions and captions to determine what is
what. Certainly
The Baker painting reflects an earlier style. Take a look at
http://www.albanyinstitute.org/resources/archive/dutch/dutch.painting.htm
Johnnae