[Sca-cooks] Bourbelier of Wild Pig

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Sep 15 05:51:33 PDT 2006

The recipe is From Cariadoc;s Mescellany):

Bourbelier of Wild Pig
Menagier p. M-23

First you must put it in boiling water, and take it out quickly and
stick it with cloves; put it on to roast, and baste with a sauce made
of spices, that is ginger, cinnamon, clove, grain, long pepper and
nutmegs, mixed with verjuice, wine, and vinegar, and without boiling
use it to baste; and when it is roasted, it should be boiled up
together. And this sauce is called boar's tail, and you will find it
later (and there it is thickened with bread: and here, not).

3 lb pork roast
about 60 whole cloves
1/4 t ginger
1/8 t cinnamon
1/8 t cloves
1/4 t grains of paradise
1/2 t pepper (rounded)
1/8 t nutmeg
(verjuice)
1 c wine
1/2 c vinegar

Preheat oven to 450deg. . Stud roast with whole cloves, baste with a
mixture of the remaining ingredients, then put into oven. Immediately
after putting it in, turn oven down to 350deg. . Roast meat 1 hour 45
minutes (for this size roast), basting every 15 minutes.

However, while I noted that the translation of the original says "Long
pepper", the redaction says "Grains of Paradise". I'm assuming either
will work, and that likely the redaction reflected what was in
Cariadoc's and Elizabeth's cupboard at the time (been there, done that
;-)

Anybody think there'll be a qualitative difference?

And, wondering if this particular mix might be usable as a powdre forte.

Anybody?

Planning on this for dinner tomorrow night...

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....