[Sca-cooks] Bourbelier of Wild Pig

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 10:25:05 PDT 2006

It seems to me that parboiling all meat, esp fresh, is just the author's
way of handling meat. All his recipes pertaining to meat start off with
parboiling, then larding. He uses this process on boar, hares, deer, wild
goat, rabbits, and the "dainties" but not birds. I am of the opinion it is
done to take out some of the gameyness of the wild-caught meat. He even
states in a round-about way that it is to make the meat a bit more tender -
DEER VENISON. As this meat is tougher than fawn or goat, it must be
parboiled and larded all along it: . Also, WILD DOE: let it be flayed, then
boiled in boiling water and removed quickly, as it is more tender than the
deer. It seems to me it is parboiled to make it more tender also.

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

Bourbelier of Wild Pig
Menagier p. M-23

First you must put it in boiling water, and take it out quickly