[Sca-cooks] Bourbelier of Wild Pig

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Fri Sep 15 18:10:45 PDT 2006

I'm almost tempted to drive across the whole kingdom now :-)) (Just Kidding,
we have an event here tomorrow anyway - no feast, yes!, means I can fight!)

Anyway, I'm a lazy bum and I don't feel like walking upstairs to check the
Viandier's version, but here's what in the Menagier from Cindy Renfrow's
online version:

BOURBELIER DE SANGLIER. Primo le convient mettre en eaue boulant, et bien
tost retraire et boutonner de giroffle; mettre rostir, et baciner de sausse
faicte d'espices, c'est assavoir gingembre, canelle , giroffle, graine,
poivre long et noix muguettes, destrempé de vertjus, vin et vinaigre, et
sans boulir l'en baciner; et quant il sera rosti, si boulez tout ensemble.
Et ceste sausse est appellée queue de sanglier , et la trouverez cy-après
(et là il la fait liant de pain: et cy, non).

The Miscellany's translation is pretty adequate. I'm wondering, though,
since in a footnote there is a musing about the meaning of "queue de
sanglier" whether you do find an accumulation of fat in boar's tail (similar
to mutton tail fat and its use in ME cuisine)?...

And what the heck, I'll go get the Viandier, just a minute...

Ok, the 4 various manuscripts compared by Scully rather agree with the
Menagier, with the difference that after the pork is roasted and basted, it
is cut in smaller sections to be boiled in the sauce.

Numbles, by the way, is Nomblet.  Couldn't find it in a dictionnary. Did
find this definition of Bourbelier in a period dictionary:

Une viande
fort friande que les
anciens faisoyent des tetines d'une truye apres qu'elle avoit cochonné.

A tasty dish that the Ancients made with the udders of a sow after she had
born piglets.

Good luck with this one!!!

Petru