[Sca-cooks] Chili's Southwestern eggrolls - Oop

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 15 22:54:21 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
Adele de Maisieres wrote:
> Kathleen A Roberts wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 05:35:33 -0700 (PDT)
>>   <tom.vincent at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Most chorizo has a *lot* of fat, which may make the
>>> wrapping soggy and greasy if the chorizo isn't drained.
>>>

> Quite.  I've had low-fat sausages and they are not very nice. < < < < < <

Something that many meatless and "low fat" sausages miss is the mouthfeel
and richness that comes from not only the fat, but also the connective
tissue that dissolves in moist heat.  I've had some that made an effort, but
still hard to get that quality of the sausage to be right.  Even the recipes
from our time periiod(s) and place(s) all seem to have a blend of lean and
fatty portions of flesh, so they know of the difference the fatty bits can
provide.  They also did not seem to have an outrageous fixation on them
either.

So, instead of injecting Johnsonville Bratwust directly into my veins for an
assured myocardial infarction, I enjoy them in judicious moderation without
additional fat in the preparation.  I also tend to use fattier and stronger
flavored sausages as condiments or flavor enhancers rather than as a roasted
entree.

niccolo difrancesco