[Sca-cooks] define" market"`` RE: Some Antirians go to Estrella...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 16 05:27:00 PDT 2006

Market derives from the Latin "mercatus" whose root, "merc-" means
merchandise.  The mercatus was a public place for the buying and selling of
goods, usually trade of foodstuffs that could not be produced in town for
goods that could not be produced in the country.  All Roman cities had an
area that served as a market and the concept and terminology was transferred
into Roman Europe.

The greatest of the Roman markets, the Mercatus Traiani, was completed about
110 CE and is the first of the megamart super malls.

http://www.roman-empire.net/tours/rome/trajans-market.html

Bear