[Sca-cooks] Pig Question

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 10:10:28 PDT 2006

On 9/16/06 7:31 AM, "Daniel  Phelps" <phelpsd at gate.net> wrote:

> I've a friend who has two young boars surplus in his herd of pot belly pigs.
> He says they run about 75 lbs on the hoof.  As I'm thinking feast can anyone
> tell me how many pounds one of these would work out to gutted, cleaned and
> prepared for roasting?
>
> Daniel
> ____________

Less than you might think.  Author Kayla Mull [Pot-Bellied Pet Pigs:
Mini-Pig Care and Training], aka Lady Molly Gill Bride in the SCA, says that
they run more to lard than to munchable meat.  But 'twould make a grand
spectacle for a head table.

I will try to get back into contact with Kayla and ask her.

In the meantime, I'm looking at the usual sources for whole roast pig
recipes and they say to ensure adequate portions, allow at least 2 pounds of
carcass weight (head on) per person.  But that is for a "meat pig" rather
than this particular breed, so I might venture to allow more like 3.

As ever - Pig Fat Rules!

Selene