[Sca-cooks] define" market"``

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 16 18:56:32 PDT 2006

The Medieval usage of market is the most common of modern usages, "a public
gathering for buying and selling mechandise."  While markets were used to
sell food stuffs from the country in town, they were not limited to that
purpose.  The great fairs of Medieval Europe were market fairs where one
could buy goods from all over Europe, food, textiles, spice, pins, pots,
etc.  While livestock was sold at fairs, more livestock was sold to the city
slaughterhouses.

Specialized markets (fish, meat, etc.) were opened in some towns to isolate
noxious odors and provide general access to specialized services such as
river piers.  Some of the market streets occurred because guilds tended to
group into a single parish for mutual support centered around the church
that served the guild members.

Boroughs are essentially townships.  They began in Medieval times as a group
of fortified houses that were granted special rights and privileges.
Modernly, they are municipal corporations with privileges such as self
government or they are a district which sends a member to Parliment.

A bazaar is a market street of stalls and shops most commonly in the Middle
East.  The word derives from Persian into the Italian "bazarro."  The
earliest usage of the word in English I am aware of is from Haklyut in 1599.

Bear