[Sca-cooks] Lardo, prosciutto blanco

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Sep 16 19:39:46 PDT 2006

And lest anyone think there wouldn't be a medieval recipe
calling for it--

/This is an excerpt from *Libre del Coch*, R. Carroll-Mann (trans.).
The original source can be found on Mark S. Harris' website
<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html>./

121. Fleshy Leaves of Cabbages. You will take the fleshy leaves of
cabbages which are clean and set them to cook with good fatty broth; and
take pork grease or lardo, which is melted bacon; and take two onions
and cut them in the fashion of a cross, and set them to cook with the
fleshy leaves of the cabbages; and when the cabbages begin to fall
apart, turn them with a haravillo until they turn yellow, and they shall
be thoroughly mushy and they will be thick. Then remove them from the
fire, and let them rest before preparing dishes.
http://www.medievalcookery.com

Johnnae

I've noticed all the conversations about pigs and chorizo.
> I thought people might like the following out of
> from Bill Buford's new volume entitled Heat.
> Batali....arrived bearing his own quince-flavored grappa ...;
> a jar of homemade nocino ...; an armful of wine;
> and a white, dense slab of lardo—literally, the raw “lardy”
> back of a very fat pig, one he’d cured himself with herbs and salt. .

Johnnae