[Sca-cooks] Matzo Balls was Re: Meatball subs-OOP

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 09:59:24 PDT 2006

Saint Phlip wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> OMG don't start with my relatives about matzo balls.  We are mostly size
>> queens <grin> but the floaters vs. sinkers argument will never end until
>> every one of us is Ded Of Matzo.  Actually, we're getting close to that
>> point... I prefer to eat floaters, but better at cooking sinkers, of
>> which my late beloved Aunt Evelyn was the main proponant.  The only
>> other sinker-lover was my ex-husband and he doesn't get a vote anymore.
>>
>> Selene
>>

> OK, for us gentiles on the List, can you give a basic recipe for matzo
> ball soup, with recipe examples of the two different types of matzo
> balls? Seems to me that this might be a good learning exercise, for
> application towards other types of dumplings.

Several factors are involved.  The proportion of eggs to matzo meal, the
amount of air whipped into the eggs. Too much oil added to the mix will
make them sink, as will removing the cover while they cook.  My mother
cheats and uses the Streit's mix and I didn't get a chance to witness my
aunt's and grandmother's techniques so Google will have to do for
documentation.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Passover/TO_Pesach_Home/Passover_Foods/Matzah_Balls.htm
http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/holiday/passover/matzo_balls/index
http://www.jewishfamily.com/lifestyles/front/displaylifestyles.php?text=/lifestyles/food/sinkers_or_floaters.txt