[Sca-cooks] 100 Mile Feasts

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 20 09:26:08 PDT 2006

What about spices?
What about imported commodities like sugar that they would have
imported prior to 1600?
Most of the flour in this country today is milled and transported from
central
facilities; what about that problem? I can't grow wheat and take it 5 miles
down the road to be ground. It's an interesting idea.

Would this really help give a more period feel to events? We don't do the
generic medieval European feast these days. Every other feast is Asian
or Middle
Eastern or Ancient Roman or Let's visit the Aztecs and dine with them.
We used to say that we were recreating the feasts of the royalty and
nobility.
They certainly drew on more than just 10 miles for their cookery.
Estates routinely
sent foods from the country to London and from household to household as
people moved between properties.
Should a monarch have stopped by to dine, the estates would have gone
all out to entertain that king or prince.
Dining locally would work if one wants to recreate the lower class
diet of porridge cereal, bread, whatever growing green can be had, and
very occasional meat.

Johnnae