[Sca-cooks] 100 Mile Feasts

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 20 13:20:48 PDT 2006

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>> Dining locally would work if one wants to recreate the lower class
>> diet of porridge cereal, bread, whatever growing green can be had, and
>> very occasional meat. Johnnae
>>

> Well, as you pointed out, Johanna, it's hard to find flour for bread
> that's grown or processed within 100 miles of most places any more. So
> bread and in some cases cereal porridge would be out.

Within a 100 miles, I can manage a mill if I called in advance and
arranged it. There's a cornfield down the road,
so that would be local. Jiffy mix locally brings their wheat in from
Illinois and Indiana. Maybe we could waylay
a traincar.But for meat in the suburbs--
well maybe someone could hit a deer on the way to work.
Michigan in the winter would be very tough.

Johnnae