[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Fwd: mongolian meat cakes

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Sep 22 08:34:30 PDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Wrom: FSQHYUCDDJBLVLM
Date: Sep 22, 2006 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Sca-cooks] mongolian meat cakes
To: Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com>,

I can't find it in my sources.  It is obviously heavily
"adapted" for the modern cook, but the Parmesan could have
started out as Central Asian cheddar-type cheese, the potatoes
as Chinese yams, and the corn flour (another hint that this is
a British recipe--it would be "corn starch" in the US) could
have started life as lotus rhizome starch or mung bean starch.
 Similar recipes do exist in the Yinshan Zhengyao.  The
combination of lamb and cheese is really troubling, because
it's so rare but really is in Yuan recipes.  A wild guess
would be that this is a modern Xinjiang (Chinese Central Asia)
recipe with the "Mongol" name stuck on it for prestige.  Or it
could be a modern Mongol recipe from somewhere.
best--Gene Anderson

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....