[Sca-cooks] mongolian meat cakes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 11:06:40 PDT 2006

First, as far as i can tell, toasted sesame oil is not really used as
a basic cooking oil in East Asian cooking. It seems to me it is more
of a flavoring, generally added near or at the end of cooking, or
used for something that doesn't take long to cook.

Second, the sesame oil used in Near and Middle Eastern cooking is
from untoasted sesame seeds.

Third, purchasing:
I recommend Spectrum brand which i get at "health food" stores. They
make several versions. The organic cold-pressed unrefined has the
very best delicious earthy sesame flavor, but is more expensive than
the others. The unrefined and the refined are both good and less
expensive. Get what you can afford. I just noticed that it is also
sold by Amazon.com, of all places, but i'd expect shipping to be a
bit pricey.

I have purchased sesame oil at a local Middle Eastern market and
found it an inferior product, at least the brand i bought.  But if
it's all you can find, it is tolerable. I found it greasy feeling,
bitter, and having an almost rancid quality. I suspect that the way
the oil is extracted is affecting the flavor, as well, perhaps, as
the way it had been stored and shipped. In any case, what i tried i
found to be barely acceptable. But it sure was cheaper than the
Spectrum.

Of course, once you open a bottle of oil, it MUST be kept in the
fridge, unless you will be using it all up rapidly. An opened bottle
sitting on the counter, and especially if it's getting sunlight or
near the stove, will oxidize, i.e., turn rancid. This will adversely
affect the flavor of the food cooked with it.

Olive oil doesn't do well in the fridge - since part will solidify -
but keeping it in a cool dark place will prolong its life. However,
if you rarely use it, keeping it in the fridge won't be bad, just be
sure to take it out long enough ahead of time so it can reach room
temperature and liquify.

I also want to stress that the quality of ingredients one uses really
has an effect on the flavor of dishes. For example, when yogurt is
called for, i use whole milk yogurt without added stabilizers (no
gelatin, no gums, no carrageenan, etc.) - and i'd use sheep's milk
yogurt for Middle Eastern dishes if it weren't so darn expensive.

When i'm cooking feasts, i have to make some compromises based on my
budget, but i weigh them carefully. Sesame oil affects the flavor of
the dishes that call for it, and i've found that spending an extra
couple dollars for the good stuff was not a budget breaker.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita