[Sca-cooks] Drinking horns for kids

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 15:47:48 PDT 2006

On 9/22/06 3:35 PM, "Ana Valdes" <agora158 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In Sweden, where the Vikings hold wild feasts with mead and salt fish,
> kids do their horns today with cow or bullhorns, when playing "live".
> It should be possible to buy them in a slaughterhouse, I assume they
> are sold as "left overs".
> Ana
>

> And the kids can polish them with toothpaste, easy to do and very fun.T

And a tooth brush?  Or some other tool?

I find cattle horns regularly at Tandy Leather/Leather Factor, but their
personnel do not often have any idea what to do with them.  I tend to clean
them vigorously with soap and water and a bottle brush, let them dry
thoroughly and then seal them with EnviroTex, a two-part resin used for bar
tops and other food-safe surfaces.

Getting kids to eat fish voluntarily is going to be a tough uphill climb in
the US, probably.  Honey-lemonade as unfermented "mead" could work.  Maybe
some kind of lefse flatbread?  Preferably without potato, of course.  I
don't think even Lief Erikson got down to Peru.  <smile>

Selene