[Sca-cooks] Fantasy foods

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Sep 23 22:23:20 PDT 2006

I imagine that they grew them.  They've got tobacco (pipe weed), and the
climate of the Shire seemed pretty equitable--potatoes and tobacco both grow
in places like VA, don't they?  Dunno why there'd be any correlation between
what was available on that particular continent of Middle Earth and those
foods we consider old world/new world in *our* cosmos.  Sam was quite
familiar with "taters," and was going on about chips and fish in TT.  It's
that scene in which they're stewing the coneys, much to Gollum's dismay,
since he thinks that cooking ruins it.  (Just watched it today
;o)....Rohirrim....*sigh*.....)
What always gets me to wondering is where the manufacturing centers are for
the Shire.  Clearly it's meant to be this bucolic/rustic paradise, but
someone's still got to be mining and smithing the plowshares and cooking
utensils, and weaving the cloth.  It's like the best parts of rural England,
without the cities/industrial areas.  Which was probably the point, but
still....
--Maire, who also wonders about Elven plumbing, and where on earth Gondor
gets its supplies and food stuffs.....