[Sca-cooks] Meat mixtures

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:39:22 PDT 2006

> Sharon> I'm looking for meat mixtures such as you might put in  pasties, pie,
> meatlball, pate, or meatloaf type food.

Greetings,

Wow, that is a big subject. Here is my translation for both Lamb
Meatballs and Veal Meatballs from Rumpoldt's Ein New Kochbuch:

>From the Chapter on Lamb
17.Lamb meatball you will make/ as earlier instructed (chapter?
Recipie?) from Vealmeat you make. One can also steam them brown on a
Rack/ with a sauce/ or in a pepper sauce/ they are in all manners
good.

>From the Chapter on Veal
43.Meatball made from Veal Meat/ Take Vealmeat/ and cut it small/ and
hack it altogether with Beef Fat/ as earlier stated/ and when the
flesh has been small hacked/ so take more therto/ and a grated Loaf/
Pepper and Saffron/ put also three or four Eggs therunder/ and mix it
altogether/ and oversalt it not/ And when you have hacked it well
small./ so cut Almonds therein/ the small chopped/ also clean small
Raisins/ and a little Sugar/ that will make it a little sweet/ mix it
all together/ and knead it with clean Hands/ and when you have well
kneaded/ so make meatballs thereof/ round and long/ throw them in
boiling water/ and let it there simmer/ put them out of it and onto a
clean board/ And take chopped Almonds/ also small raisins/ wine/ a
little vinegar and sugar/ brown a little Flour therein/ let it
altogether simmer/ take Pepper and Saffron thereto/ and let it also
seethe there/ so you will have a good Almond sauce/ And when you have
let them simmer/ so put the meatballs therein and set them on the hot
Ashes/ so it will stay warm/ until you will serve it/ If you want to
have another such meatball/ as you have made/ so lay it on a Rack/ and
brown it off/ and make thereto a good Pepper with some Chicken Fat/
that has been melted before/ as one (who) makes Pepper should/ be it
sweet or sour/ it is in both manners good. Make also such meatballs/
that you would have made/ the browned kind. You make also boiled with
Juniper berries/ or Parsley Roots/ and do not make it sour/ so they
are with Beef Broth/ and make it with steam/ so it will be good and
well tasting.

My redaction using Lamb can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/fjj2w

I don't know if this one is covered already in your listing - but here
is a meat and cheese pie from Platina:

Platina, On right Pleasure and Good Health Book VIII
36. Meat Pie
Boil the meat of veal, or kid, or capon. When it is boiled and the
sinews taken out, cut up finely and pound in a mortar. Add to it a
little fresh cheese, an equal amount of ground aged cheese, a little
cut-up parsley and marjoram, fifteen well-beaten eggs, sowbelly, or
calf's udder, cut up and pounded, a bit of pepper, a little more
cinnamon, less ginger, and enough saffron to create color. Take care
that it be cooked in the same way in which we described white pie.

And another, but much earlier German meat pie thingie:
Ein Buch von Guter Spice
5. Heidenische kuchen (Heathen cakes)
These are called heathen cakes. One should take a dough and should
spread it thin and take a boiled meat and chopped fatty bacon and
apples and pepper and eggs therein and bake that and give out and do
not damage.

Looking at the above one again, it doesn't actually tell you to chop
the boiled meat - but when I prepared it that is the way I did it. I
did it in a pasty form and they were tasty.

That is all I have handy at the moment. I hope some of it is useful.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva