[Sca-cooks] Tin/Pewter Was: Cornish Pasties

Lisa Sawyer lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 07:07:29 PDT 2006

I'm not sure about tin per se, but I do remember about 25 years ago we were
told to avoid using certain types of pewter for cooking or serving hot food
because "tin" could leech into the food and eventually cause some type of
poisoning. I remembe it because at the time we were living in Southeast Asia
and pewter was a major collectible. I had at one point a large collection of
pewter mugs. They changed composition to make it safer. I think tin is a
composite metal and it was lead that was the issue but I was only 15 at the
time and didn't pay much attention.

I also remember something about lead-based crystal being a concern as
well...but only when serving hot foods. I'm not sure what hot foods you
would serve in crystal but that is what I was told.

Btw, since this list has such a broad audience...if anyone sees a battered
and worn pewter mug with a dent on one side of the rim and engraved with
"Blang Lancang H.H.H" on it...I would love to have it back! The only other
person who might recognize it would be Sir Elazar in Glenn Abhann ~grin~. He
has an identical one (or did). Small world!

Ysabeau
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra