[Sca-cooks] Viking smoothing board

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Wed Sep 27 14:41:41 PDT 2006

> Bridget Ann Henisch, in _Fast and Feast_ discussed the
> laundress' use of a 'slick stone', which is essentially
> exactly as you just described- a slick, polished rock
> that is used to press linens. Nothing is new under the sun :-)
> 'Lainie

Yeah... since some of the women in Norse communities seem to have worn
pleated linen dresses, I can sure understand how handy those boards were!

Oh, and Stephan - yeah, a weaving sword is used to push the weft up a
warp-weighted-loom, in a nice slap, slap, slap motion that tightens and
evens out everything. I *think* there is one pictured on that website that
was mentioned, http://www.arild-hauge.com/various-museums.htm , the sixth
picture down (Sunmore museum) but I could be wrong. I'm not a weaver. :)

Hrothny