[Sca-cooks] A Piece of the One True Cod

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 28 18:33:09 PDT 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 4:42 PM, SilverR0se at aol.com wrote:

> ...is what I happened to find at the market yesterday. That's what
> they
> called it, as opposed, I guess,  to Pacifc Cod which they were also
> selling. I've
> wanted to try it since I read Mark Kurlansky's book.

Yes, Pacific cod is good stuff, but a different critter from gadus
morhua.

You remind me of a rather obscure (I think) series of humorous
British children's books from the 50's, I guess, by one Geoffrey
Willans and illustrated by Ronald Searle (who basically stole his
Saint Trinian's books from these, more or less whole cloth, but as a
girl's school), concerning the boys of Saint Custard's College. The
narrator, Nigel Molesworth, refers at times to both The School Cheese
(which is a cheese so noxious one wouldn't find it anywhere but at
school, but also in the sense of, The School Song or The Old School
Tie), but also another well-known school dining hall speciality, The
Piece of Cod Which Passeth All Understanding...

Adamantius