[Sca-cooks] beer

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 1 08:00:43 PDT 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 9:57 AM, grizly wrote:

> spices and fruits, are. An early post-period, non-Belgian example I'm
> particularly fond of is the Giulielma Penn recipe for apple beer,
> which is a hopped ale made using apple juice instead of water, for
> mashing one's barley malt, then hopped and fermented like any other
> ale. Which is different from lambic, but still...
>
> Adamantius> > > >
>

> Hey boss, you got a reference for that post-period dealy?  Apple
> and barley
> could be scrumptious in beer.
>
> niccolo difrancesco
> (gonna teach the local townies how to make beer soon!)

Obviously, I now can't find it, but it's in a book called "Penn
Family Recipes", and was apparently the receipt book of one of his
wives, and dated, as I recall, 1694. Here, I clipped this from a
webbed article referring to the good Giulielma's recipe for oatcakes:

Benson, Evelyn Abraham, ed. -- Penn Family Recipes ©Evelyn Abraham
Benson 1966. Pub. George Schumway, York, PA 1966

Unfortunately, what I'm lacking is the actual recipe (if I can find
the book I'll post it), but again, as I recall, it is a quite typical
ale recipe: heat liquor, pour over ground malt, mash, drain and
reserve wort, boil with hops, strain, cool, pitch yeast, etc. The
only difference being that the liquor in this case is apple juice
instead of water.

Good stuff!

Adamantius