[Sca-cooks] Honey-Roasted Beets

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 4 08:55:10 PDT 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 10:58 AM, Tom Vincent wrote:

> Oh, of course...toot away.  You're welcome!
>
> Duriel

I don't think this is a case of tooting. If it had been cabbage or
turnips, maybe...

But in this case your premise seems to have been that there are all
these unsuitable-for-feasts beet recipes from period, so instead
you're posting this lovely modern beet recipe. And it's a fine
recipe, but what's not clear is how it is an improvement over the
unspecified shortcomings of period beet recipes. You have, in short,
posted not just a nice recipe, but a comparison and something of a
challenge, so it's no surprise that some people rose to it.

I posted a few ideas on the existence of several [good] period beet
recipes, from memory, and Johnna mentioned her own personal knowledge
of a file in the Florilegium (an archive maintained by someone else,
mind you) on the subject, which she knows is there because she's seen
it, and wrote much of it. This is not tooting, it is a very basic
form of documentation, and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

Adamantius