[Sca-cooks] Feast Philosophy was Honey-Roasted Beets

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 4 17:49:50 PDT 2006

Firstly, I don't think Duriel is intending argument or insult, but is
speaking in his natural way.  Since written speech doesn't provide much in
the way of tone, inflection or body language, some of the phrases turned in
this discussion appear argumentative or are misunderstood.  It may behoove
all of us to clarify our definitions and opinions in these answers.

As for the philosophical, I would say that the difference is between the
idea that a feast is a meal for a small army and that the meal is to be
edible rather than historically accurate and the idea that a feast is an
opportunity to prepare and serve a truly amazing edible and historically
accurate meal.  Those of us who see the feast as an extension of the
historic recreation tend to forget that there are those, who for whatever
reason don't share our passion.

Posting the Honey-Roasted Beets recipe here is appropriate as all recipes
are in order.  Twenty-odd years ago, before I got the historical cooking
bug, I would have used it in a feast.  Today, I would not.

Rather than try to point to the historical alternatives in an attempt to
change the philosophy, let us intead ask the question, "Why use a modern
recipe for a historical recreation, when historical alternatives are
available?"

Bear