[Sca-cooks] It's DUCKS ;-)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 5 08:42:42 PDT 2006

Eventually Selene said:
>And by friends of mine in this kingdom for baking cakes, particularly of the
>angel cake variety, and meringues.  That extra protein goes a LONG way
>toward making them really tall and light.  I'd love to try duck egg-whites
>in the various cake icings, yumbo!

Now i have no problem with duck eggs per se. But i know that you
wouldn't want to use the ones i had in Indonesia in your cakes,
meringues, or icings. The mere thought makes me say "Eew!"

See, just how "tasty" duck eggs are depends in part on what the ducks
have been eating.

I accidentally purchased some duck eggs when i live in Jakarta. The
flavor wasn't "bad", just unexpected, since i thought they were just
large chicken eggs. They clearly had the flavor of a more... hmmm...
aquatic environment than chickens live in.

>And what a deep golden mayonnaise and
>hollandaise they must make.

The Jakartan duck eggs might have been good for this, especially if
these sauces were used on an aquatic protein substance, i.e., with
fish or shellfish.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita