[Sca-cooks] It's DUCKS ;-)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Sep 5 14:50:01 PDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Maybe I haven't seen that many ducks, but not only do these seem to
> stand very straight and tall, but they seem to fairly thin or lean
> for ducks. Is this some illusion because of the way they stand or the
> photography? Or are they actually fairly lean compared to other ducks?
>
> Stefan
> --------
> THLord Stefan li Rous

It's all part of the breed characteristics. Their upright stance not
only adds to the illusion of slimness, but they are rather smaller
than other ducks about 4-7 lbs. They look like a nornal duck when
sitting in the more usual position (chest ant feet and tail on the
ground, head upright), just a bit smaller. They do, however, have
somewhat less fat than other ducks, and their flesh is reputed to be
very tasty and tender, although I'll never find out from these guys
;-)

And, interestingly enough, while they do quite well in water, they
don't need it as much as other ducks do- they don't require it to
breed, for example, although they do require water to eat and digest
their food, and for bathing and cleanliness.

Also, Lilinah was discussing her Balinese ducks, and said in part:

> See, just how "tasty" duck eggs are depends in part on what the ducks
> have been eating.

> I accidentally purchased some duck eggs when i live in Jakarta. The
> flavor wasn't "bad", just unexpected, since i thought they were just
> large chicken eggs. They clearly had the flavor of a more... hmmm...
> aquatic environment than chickens live in.

Very definitely possible. Wild ducks are reknowned for having a very
fishy flavor, and most serious game cookbooks will explain how to
remove or minimize that flavor. Not all of them have it, just the ones
which spend a lot of time in the water. Makes sense that their eggs
would, too. I wouldn't be surprised if chickens would do the same, if
fish meal became part of their diet- both ducks and chickens are
omnivores (although geese are strict vegetarians).

As far as their origin, the information I've been looking up says
"East Indies". Certainly the Balinese ducks look much like mine, the
difference being  that apparently when the Scots got them they bred
for specific colors, apparently by cross breeding with mallards?,
before they got sent over here to the US. Most of the Balinese ducks
look plain white in the pictures.

Still learning, but looking forward to letting them out of their house
in a couple days, to watch them ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....