[Sca-cooks] Speaking of beets...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 6 20:53:09 PDT 2006

>  Also, I have another question.
> Were there certain shapes for making cofyns/coffins, and did the shapes
> change over the centuries? I can't imagine anything more wasteful of space
> in an oven than a round pie tin. Weren't coffins square for the most part?
> What could you use to imitate a coffin pan? I think an 8 X 8 pan would be
> too deep, but I'm really not sure.
>
> ~Aislinn~

Bread was round, trappes were round, tart pans were round, so I see no
particular problem with a round, free standing coffyn.  When you are talking
about a hemispherical baking chamber (fairly common in heat mass ovens),
square or rectangular actually wastes space.

As a baker, I would say the shape of the piece is less of an issue than
being able to get it in and out of the oven and the shape of any pans, molds
or utensils for preparing the dish.  In fact, I was looking at a wood-cut
tonight of a tart shaped like a peacock where the body is formed in an oval
pan.  I can also see where a heavy paste might have been shaped to the cut
of meat rather than made round, square, or some other specific shape.

As for depth, in the illustrations, trappes look like deep casserole pans
with sides that might be 4 to 8 inches deep, while tart pans have relatively
shallow sides.  The pans you used would likely have been decided by the dish
you were preparing and the type of paste or dough you used.

Bear