[Sca-cooks] Spanish Feast after-action report

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 7 03:30:58 PDT 2006

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
> Well, the Conviencia feast is over, I have most of my brain back, and it
> went well.
>
> Here's what I cooked (see
> http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/conviencia2.html for links to
> the recipes)
>
> STARTERS:
> Olives * (purchased)
> Lombardy sops (layered casserole of bread & cheese with broth) (bread,
> dairy, meat; vegetarian version available on request)
> Sallat *
> Figs in Wine
> Mustard Sauce
>
> FIRST COURSE:
>
> Fish with Orange Juice
> Fried Millet Polenta (contains dairy; plain dairy free millet available)
> *
> Cooked Salad of Lentils *
> Garlic Chicken
> Limonada (raisin-lemon-almond pudding) (nuts) [Vegetarian version
> available]
> Parsley Dish (contains nuts, bread)*
>
> Beverage: Jalab of Lemon Syrup
>
> SECOND COURSE:
>
> Casserole of Pork
> Rice cooked in the Oven (may contain eggs)*
> Modern Pottage of Chard, served with parmesan on the side *
> Moorish Eggplant (contains eggs, dairy) *
> Carrot-Cheese Pie (contains dairy) *
> Perada (pears in syrup) *
>
> Beverage: Clarea de Agua
>
> BUFFET:
> Food for Angels (Sweetened cheese with rosewater or orange flower water)
> *
> Anise Biscotti (contains wheat) *
> Peach Dish (contains meat broth)
> Coriander comfits
> Quince Paste * (purchased)
> Fruit *
> Jordan Almonds *(purchased)
> Candied peels
>
> The most important point to remember is that the feast was underattended
> -- 50 instead of 80-- probably mostly because of the storms this
> weekend.
>
> 1) I was late getting to site because I got lost in *Lancaster County,
> PA*. 30 miles from my mother's house. The only consolation was that I
> was only lost for about 2.5 hours, and my mother, who works for the
> county mapping office, was lost for 3 hours.
>
> 2) I had the best kitchen crew I've ever seen. In particular, Bruce the
> Robert, who arrived on Friday night, June from Silver Rylle, Flora, and
> Cariola (I can't spell her SCA name), who had never met me before and
> threw themselves into feast prep with skill and enthusiasm. And of
> course the same skill and enthusiasm was evident in the helpers who knew
> me and had been guilted into it: John Marshall, Christopher Calhoune, my
> mom, Sarah bas Mordecai, Evan da Coleao (I spelled that wrong), and
> other people whose names I suddenly can't remember.
>
> 3) I should have remembered that I had no cell phone reception on site.
> Sorry, Sarah, about leaving you hanging on the fish issue. (BJ's only
> had 2 lbs of tilapia. Sarah bought them out of perch, and then went to
> [...]
Congratulations...despite the occasional "bobble", it sounds like you
pulled off a delightful feast!  And, after all, that's the important thing!

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn