[Sca-cooks] Yams, Pumpkins, Pecan Pie

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 13:43:36 PDT 2006

Kiri wrote:
>I, on the other hand, love pecan pie.

I like the pecans, it's the great globs of syrupy goo i don't like. I
eat the top where the nuts are, i eat a little crust, but the rest...
(shudder)

>However,
>there was a bakery here in Prince Frederick several years back that made
>a pecan pie that included cranberries (the dried kind) in the pecan
>mixture that went on top.  And somehow, her filling wasn't quite as
>sweet...so that, between the topping and the not-quite-so-sweet filling,
>the pie was "to die for!!"

There was a bakery here, Just Desserts, that made what i thought was
a fabulous pecan-cranberry tart. No goo. Just masses of pecans and
tart fresh cranberries. My brother explicitly told me NOT to bring or
make one for our Saturday Thanksgiving dinner...

...yeah, Saturday. Turns out he's taking his family on a little
vacation over Thanksgiving and hadn't thought to tell me, the cook,
or our mother, the host. I didn't find out until i called him to ask
what vegetables he and his family like. After telling me his kids
don't eat vegetables, he then recited a moderately long list of
vegetables they do eat (yeah, he was surprised when he figured out
they do eat vegetables). Then his wife, from the couch, reminded him
that they wouldn't be around for Thanksgiving. He mulled it over a
bit and suggested that Thanksgiving dinner be moved to Saturday night.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita