[Sca-cooks] Pie Shapers

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 11 05:22:14 PDT 2006

I wrote:
> > Actually, I believe Cealian is correct.  That crown was made using
Ivan's
> > gingerbread mold which Johnnae, I, and others used last April.  Ivan
let
> > me make a "Sculpy" copy of it which is sitting in my kitchen.  I would
> > hazard a guess that Ivan used the mold to print the crowns, cut around
the
> > shape and affixed that dough to the side of the pie.  I would stake a
> > cookbook of mine that the mold was used, although I'm not sure about
the
> > cutting-out method.

Bear responded:
> I can't tell if the crowns are imprinted separately and affixed to the
> panels or if the crown is cut into plate that would create the panel
while
> embossing the crown.  The pie to the right looks as if it has been
carved,
> but due to the even work and sharpness of the detail, I'm wondering if it
it
> hasn't been pressed into a flat strip of dough with a modernly milled
> rolling stamp.

I'm not certain that I understand about "cut into the plate that would
create the panel".  Are you saying that possibly each curved panel was set
down as a flat "plate", the mold stamp pressed into it, and then it was set
onto the base?  Pressing the gingerbread mold onto the dough might have
been one way but then the design would go inward, right?  And the print
appears to be raised, doesn't it?

Having debated this for a while, I decided to go to the "horse's mouth" so
to speak and have sent a post to Ivan asking about the pie's construction,
as well as the one in back, to the right, that Bear asked about.  Now,
while it probably wouldn't make any real difference, I'm wondering if these
pies are some of the "fake pies" that he's had his model maker friend
construct.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com