[Sca-cooks] Cook's Prayer, was RE: 9/11 SCA cooks

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 17:26:44 PDT 2006

King's Taste Productions wrote:
> This isn't exactly a prayer, more like words to live by:
>
> "The Cook orders, regulates and is obeyed in his Kitchen; he should have
> a chair between the buffet and the fireplace to sit on and rest if
> necessary; the chair should be so placed that he can see and survey
> everything that is being done in the Kitchen; he should have in his hand
> a large wooden spoon which has a double function:  one, to test pottages
> and brouets, and the other, to chase the children out of the Kitchen to
> make them work, striking them if necessary."
>

> Memoires
> Olivier de la Marche,
> Maitre d'Hotel, Capitaine des Gardes to
> Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy,
> mid-Fifteenth Century

This is one of my favorite passages...when a good friend was Laureled
for cooking, I read this as my part of his ceremony...and attached a
copy of it to a very large wooden spoon, which I presented to him, again
as part of his ceremony.

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn