[Sca-cooks] Patron Saints of Cooks, Food and Beverage Workers

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 20:14:43 PDT 2006

> DEC 6
> St. Nicholas of Bari's Feast Day (350) Patron Saint of (among many
> others) Bakers, Brewers, & Fishermen

Samichlaus!

You can celebrate St. Nick with a Samichlaus beer, brewed and bottled on
the Saint's day (Dec. 6) and first sold one year later on the following
Samichlaus day.  14.5% abv, dark, heavy, with hints of chocolate,
currants, nutmeg and other wonderful flavors, even though it's nothing
but malt (LOTS of malt!), water, hops and yeast let work for a year.

--Cian

St. Nicholas it is for you then, I tend to think of him in times of
emergency money issues myself, (another of his patronages is for pawn
brokers;), but I think I like this guy:

"NOV 13TH
St. Diego Alcala's Feast Day (1463) Patron Saint of Cooks. As a young
man, Diego was apprenticed to a hermit, and together they grew
vegetables and fashioned kitchen utensils. He joined the Franciscans as
a lay brother, and was a cook and doorkeeper until he was made Superior
of his house."

You know - he worked hard as an apprentice and learned to grow
vegetables, make useful cooking tools, cooked, and finally ran the whole
household - a nice solid background for a cooking saint.

But my personal favorite is St. Julian - his is on my birthday and his
background  - especially the circus performers - just speaks to me :)

"FEB 12TH
St. Julian the Hospitaller's Feast Day (?) Patron Saint of Boatmen,
Circus Performers, Innkeepers, and Travelers. He built a hospice on the
banks of a raging river, and ferry across poor pilgrims for free.
Because of his legendary hospitality to strangers, he is prayed to by
traveling entertainers."

Christianna