[Sca-cooks] Period pretzel recipes?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Sep 12 18:17:43 PDT 2006

>Hello,
>
>I'd like to make some pretzels and was wondering if anyone has come  across
>any period recipes.
>
>I see them in the pictures in later period paintings, but so far haven't
>found a recipe.
>
>Thanks
>
>Grace

There is an Italian recipe for Brazzatelle , or some name close to
that, from Messibugio, Libro Novo 1557. I haven't been able to find a
translation of the word, but it looks as though it is either bagels
or pretzels.

Here is the recipe as translated by someone who thought it meant bagels:

---
Bagels of Milk and Sugar
from Messibugio, Libro Novo 1557

To make fifty bagels of four ounces each you will take fifteen lbs of
best flour, three ounces of rose water, three pounds of milk, two
pounds of white sugar, 25 eggs, four ounces of butter, and you will
knead these things together very well.

Then you will make your bagels according to the method you want to
use, and then you will let rise with careful attention, and after it
has risen you will boil your water, and then you will place inside
the above-mentioned bagels to cook, and when they come to the top you
will take out, and then you will put in fresh water, and when you
have removed them from within you will put them to cook in the oven,
and if you want to put inside anise it is a good deed.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com