[Sca-cooks] REDUX: Deep frying whole eggs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 12 18:36:42 PDT 2006

niccolo "pizzaiolo" difrancesco posted:
<<< The long anticipated results of my committment to experiment. >>>

Thank you for trying this and reporting the results.

<<< My method was rather simplistic, as I am not the Myth busters
with their
budget and time :o)  I heated a 40# natural gas deep fat fryer to
350F.  Oil
was tested with onboard thermostat as well as instant read thermometer.
352F was oil temp.  One large Grade A chicken egg was held at room
temperature for 30 minutes prior to use . . . room temp hovers around
88-92F in the kitchen before cranking up the pizza furnace. >>>

With that mass of oil the temperature certainly didn't change when
the egg was added to it.

<<< After cooking about 2 minutes 45 seconds, it was
a medium poached egg.  Yolk was thickend a good bit and starting to
congeal. >>>

Interesting. I really expected more excitement. I'm surprised that it
didn't cook faster at that higher temperature than it did.

<<< I cannot say what would happen with 500F oil at this time,
because that
exceeds the smoke point of what I use, and I wasn't so willing to
ruin about
8 gallons of oil in the fryer this time through.  I'll keep it on the
bulletin board forthe next trials, though!  So,  350F oil poaches an egg
qucker than 212F water does.  no fireworks and nothing dangerous
happened in my experiment . . . YMMV.  >>>

I was wondering at first why you went to such an effort to use a room
temperature egg, but then I realized that the difference between a
refrigerated and a room-temperature egg would only be about 50
degrees, so it probably wouldn't make much difference. For a wider
temperature extreme it might work better to use a refrigerated egg
with the same 350 degree oil though, than a room-temperature egg at
400 degrees.

40 pounds of hot oil, though. Wow. Are those deep fryers well
stabilized? I have this horrible picture of one of those tipping over
and splashing 350 (500!) degree oil everywhere. And to think, early
on on this list, I asked Adamantius why a commercial kitchen would be
considered dangerous.  sigh.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas