[Sca-cooks] Cook's Prayer, was RE: 9/11 SCA cooks

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 11:27:33 PDT 2006

Thank to all! By the way, I cooked a real Scandinavian "period" meal
the other day. Wildboar, hunted by a friend, soaked in homemade mead
made by another friend who keeps bees.
And to the wildboar we roasted on the oven turnips and roots and all
the stuff wild boar should find in the Scandinavian woods where the
animal was hunted.
We had two young guests, one was 13 and the other 16, they are more
used to hamburgers and pasta than to wildboars :)
But they loved it!!
Ana

On 9/13/06, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
> >Thank you! And by the way, science-fiction and phantasy books refer
> >seldom to food but in Eddings, Zelazny and other similar, the
> >characters and the societies seems to me frozen in a Middle Age diet,
> >wild boars, eelk, reindeer, mead, honey and beer.
>
> I think the one specific food reference in my (arguably fantasy,
> although without magic) novel is to oat cakes, based on Froissart's
> comment about Scottish troopers. I've made them, using a conjectural
> reconstruction, and they seem like a plausible travel food.
> --
> David Friedman
> www.daviddfriedman.com
> daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci