[Sca-cooks] foods in fantasy novels

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 13 11:45:34 PDT 2006

> I particularly like the bit in the first Kerowyn book where she's
> coordinating her brother's wedding feast, and the bread sculptures of deer
> subtlety comes back hacked to bits. ;-)
>
> Margaret FitzWilliam
Mercedes Lackey has played SCA in the past.  Not lately... but she is
certainly aware of the Grand Medieval Feast style.

My notion of the Dragonriders' meatrolls is like a pasty, maybe a crust
made of bread so as to crumble less than short pastry does.  My local
Chinese market/bakery sells basically cylindrical rolls like this for
folks likewise on the go, with chopped dried meat on the inside, "pork
sung" usually, with a little mayo and other accompaniments.  I tried
them the first time in my tradition of "try one new thing every time I
shop here" and I really liked it.