[Sca-cooks] Cuban ham croquettes

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Sep 13 13:25:52 PDT 2006

This is what I found:

This one sounds like what you are talking about:
http://cuban-christmas.com/croquetas.html

But the following recipe is more of a fritter type variation:

Ham Croquettes

Ingredients :

1/4 lb (1 stick) salted butter
7 tsp All-purpose flour
2 cup Milk, scalded
2 cup Finely chopped cooked ham
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
3 tsp Fresh lime juice, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tbl Finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cup Very fine bread crumbs
1 lrg Egg, lightly beaten
Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
1 x In a large skillet over low heat, melt the butter. When it
begins to foam:

Method :
.. blend in the flour, then gradually whisk in the milk until the
mixture thickens into a smooth paste. Do not overcook or it will
get lumpy.
Add the ham, salt, pepper, nutmeg, lime juice, and parsley, and
continue cooking over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly
with a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat.
2. Spoon the mixture into a pan or platter and let it cool
thoroughly. (After it has reached room temperature, it can be
refrigerated.)
3. Sprinkle a light layer of bread crumbs on a work surface.
Scoop up 1 tablespoon of the cooled ham mixture and shape it into
a cylinder about 1 1/2 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter.
Dip it in the beaten egg and then in the crumbs, and repeat with
the remaining mixture, renewing the crumbs when necessary.
(The recipe can be prepared to this point one day ahead of time
and refrigerated overnight.)
4. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. In a large, heavy-bottomed
skillet or deep fryer over medium-high heat, heat 2 to 5 inches of
oil to 375 degrees, or until a drop of the mixture sizzles when it
touches the oil, and fry 5 to 6 croquettes at a time until golden
on all sides, turning with a slotted spoon. Do not fry too many at
once, or the oil temperature will fall and they will be soggy
rather than crisp.
Transfer them to a paper-towel-lined platter to drain, keep warm
in the oven until you have finished frying the rest, and serve
sprinkled with fresh lime juice.

Ysabeau
~Who LOVES Cuban food~