[Sca-cooks] Cuban ham croquettes

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Sep 13 13:50:27 PDT 2006

I wouldn't think they would use cornmeal as a binder.
Traditionally, cuban bread crumbs are used. Cubans are very proud
of their bread. I'm not really sure what the difference is between
Cuban bread and French besides shape. I haven't done an in depth
analysis of the recipes though.

I would love to find a recipe for "Deviled Crabs". I've only found
them in restaurants in Ybor City. They are spiced/seasoned crab
meat that is then encased in a dough that I'm pretty sure includes
Cuban bread crumbs as a binder and then rolled in Cuban bread
crumbs and deep fried. They end up looking vaguely like large
Scotch Eggs in size and shape. However, they are really divine and
definitely not for anyone on a diet.

Ysabeau