[Sca-cooks] Fantasy foods was Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 5, Issue 43

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 13 14:52:36 PDT 2006

> What is the deal with the English language on Pern anyway?  How did they
> lose all their food words in favor of descriptions? I guess
> "heardbeasts" instead of "cows" and "red roots" instead of "beets"
> sounded more Fantasy somehow.  Meh.  I was never sure what a "wherry"
> bird was anyway.  Turkey?  I never lived with one so I don't know how
> good a turkey is as an intruder warning system.  Ducks are great at that
> though.

I believe the herdbeasts and red roots, etc. were adapted indigenous
species, according to the books about the founding of Pern. I always
assumed wherries were something like a wild turkey only stupider and as
nasty as geese.

Of course now I have to dig out my books because I can't remember any
sheep at all!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net