[Sca-cooks] Period pretzel recipes?

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 13 22:58:06 PDT 2006

<<<< On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Terry Decker wrote:
 > There are some recipes in Rumpolt, but they are for sweet
pretzels, rather
 > than the bread pretzels of which you are probably thinking.  Here
 > are couple of translations by Thomas Gloning:
 >
 > 55. Take white flour, only the white of eggs and some wine, sugar and
 > anise, prepare a dough with these ingredients, roll the dough with
clean
 > hands such that it becomes longish and round. Make small pretzels
from
 > it and put them into a warm oven and bake them so that you do not
burn
 > it but that they get pretty dry. This way, they will become crisp and
 > good. If you like, you may take cinnamon as an ingredient for the
dough,
 > too (but you can leave it). This dish is called Precedella.
 >
 > 57. Take sugar and rosewater, boil up [together], so that it
becomes not
 > too thick, stir grated almonds into this boiled sugar, take it
from the
 > fire when it is well dried. When you take it away, take one to three
 > spoons of good white pounded sugar, stir it into the almonds, make
this
 > almond dough longish with your hands, strew white sugar onto it on
the
 > upper and the lower side, so that nothing sticks to your hands.
And when
 > you have made it longish, form small pretzels from it, put them
into a
 > warm oven and bake them quite slowly, they will get a fine white
color.
 > And they are called Precedella made of almonds. (Rumpolt 1581, fol.
 > 169b, #57)

These sure seem like Jumbals to me...

Adamantius  >>>>

So how do you decide which is which?  why do you think these are
closer to jumbels than pretzels? From previous discussions I seem to
remember jumbels being twisted into different shapes than the
standard pretzel, but in these recipes they don't say anything about
the final shape.

Yet another problem of defining what is what. :- )
jumbals-msg        (8K) 10/12/03    Knotted twists of dough similar
to pretzels.
pretzels-msg      (48K)  4/29/06    Period pretzels and pretzel-like
breads.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas