[Sca-cooks] Flan vs. Custard

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 09:12:47 PDT 2006

I also think of a custard as having some egg in it
while a flan doesn't necessarily use eggs.  The
restaurants out here have been serving panacotta for a
couple of years now as a dessert/palate cleanser.

I found a period recipe in Gallo (1575) that Mistress
Hauviette translated.  I'll post my redaction in a few
minutes.

Eibhlin

> Bear replied to my questions with:
> <<< Personally, I would stick all of the flan stuff
> in under flan,
> which would
> handle custard and non-custard flans.  A flan is not
> necessarily a
> custard
> and a custard is not necessarily a flan. >>>
>
> Huh? Now, I'm even more confused. When is a flan not
> necessarily a
> custard, and when is a custard not necessarily a
> flan.  Where is the
> dividing line between the two? I don't think I can
> go simply with
> whether the recipe or message writer uses the term
> "flan" or not. If
> I did, I suspect I see recipes for the same item in
> both files or
> things that modern people would consider flans in
> both files.
>
> In your earlier message you said: "Modernly, the
> word refers to a
> tart of custard, fruit or cheese, a custard with
> caramel topping, or
> a metal
> blank for pressing a coin." which I took to mean
> that all flans were
> custards, other than the flan which was a flat piece
> of metal.
>
> This is an example of where I was thinking it might
> be better to go
> with the modern meaning, since "The meaning is "flat
> cake."" would
> apply to a large number of items I now have in a
> number of other
> files and that I don't think most people these days
> would think of a
> flan as a flat cake.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan
> --------
> THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
> Kingdom of Ansteorra
>     Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
>
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
> **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
> http://www.florilegium.org ****
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:18:28 -0500
> From: "Pat Griffin" <ldyannedubosc at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Meat Rolls
> To: "'Kerri Martinsen'" <kerrimart at mindspring.com>,
> "'Cooks within the
> 	SCA'" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
>
> Here in the South, we have a delicacy called
> "sausage biscuit" in which the
> ground and browned meat is incorporated into the
> dough, sometimes with the
> addition of cheese.  Cultural bias made me think of
> something similar when I
> read "meat rolls".
>
> Sausage Biscuits
>
> 1 half lb. bulk pork breakfast sausage