[Sca-cooks] Bourbelier of Wild Pig

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 17:17:10 PDT 2006

Saint Phlip wrote:
>  However, while I noted that the translation of the original says "Long
>  pepper", the redaction says "Grains of Paradise". I'm assuming either
>  will work, and that likely the redaction reflected what was in
>  Cariadoc's and Elizabeth's cupboard at the time (been there, done that
>  ;-)
>
>  Anybody think there'll be a qualitative difference?

Hmmm, both add a bit of "heat", but they're quite different.

Long pepper - and mine i got in Morocco, so they're a few years old,
which could affect their flavor - come out guns blazing, but are not
a deep or complex. It's a "mouth heat".

Grains of paradise are softer and more subtle, and seemed to me to
have a more complex flavor. I guess i'd say they're pungent rather
than hot.

I made a Poudre Forte blend based on a 14th c. Italian recipe in the
book sometimes called Libro di Cucina del Secolo XIV, but without
long pepper, back when i didn't have any.

----- Original in Translation -----
Black Strong Spices to make sauces:
take half a quarter of cloves and two onze of pepper, and take the
same amount of long pepper and two nutmegs; this will serve for all
spices.

What i did was substitute half grains of paradise and half cubebs for
the long pepper when i couldn't find any. It tastes different from
the original, but since they did use g. of p. and cubebs, i figure
it's a reasonable variation. I'm not a fan of cloves, but the clove
flavor isn't strong, but nicely balanced by the nutmeg and the pepper.

1/4 tsp. cloves
2 Tb. grains of paradise
2 Tb. cubebs
1 whole nutmeg (theyr're best grated fresh)
1/4 c. black pepper (= 4 Tb.)

Grind separately and mix well together.
Store in air tight container in a cool dark place.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita