[Sca-cooks] 100 Mile Feasts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 20 15:57:06 PDT 2006

Well, it would be cheating for us here around the San Francisco Bay.

There's still a C&H Sugar plant less than 50 miles to the north
(yeah, they don't grow the sugar cane, but they make the sugar).
There's the ocean for sea creatures and seaweed, and we've got feral
pigs, wild deer, dairy farms, cattle ranches, chicken ranches, even
emus. Besides miles of growing vegetables (including garlic and
onions and cilantro), we've got vineyards for grapes and wines and
vinegars, breweries making beer and ale (and potentially
alegar/agresto), orchards for fruits and nuts.

Not to mention all the spinach growers...

Spices might be a bit trickier, but since we're cool by the ocean,
and quite hot just over the coastal range, we can grow quite a range
of things... and even with my black thumb, i used to grow lemon grass
and basil on my window sill... We get fresh ginger, galangal, and
turmeric in the supermarkets, so it's possible that someone nearby is
growing it. While more than 100 miles from me, there are experimental
banana growers in SoCal...

I don't know about the grains, though, but California grows darn near
everything, so there might be some not too far away...

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita