[Sca-cooks] 100 Mile Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 21 04:25:32 PDT 2006

Corn, in the British usage, tends to be the major grain grown in a region.
This was very likely rye, if coming out of Northern Europe headed to Spain.

A synonym for victuals is provisions.   I doubt the English would seize a
ship's food, but if the quantities were large, they might consider such as
military provisions.  However, 1588 is the year of the Armada and the date
is less than two weeks before the English engaged them on August 7, so they
might be trying to stop anything from getting through to Spain.

Bear