[Sca-cooks] Confiscated Goods was 100 Mile Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 21 18:53:02 PDT 2006

> Regards "corne" I'm confused as to what it was.  Side note the listing
> "Victual" was preceded by "Munityon" which contained as one would expect
> callyvers, muskettes, armour, powder, brimston, saltpeter, bulletts,
> copper, leade and matche as well as cables, masts, anchors, cordage,
> pitch, tarre, tallow and pitchstone.  It also included "Ordynance not
> belonginge to the shipps, canvas and Danske Poldavyers".   Does anyone
> recognize what "Danske Poldavyers" were?

Danske Poldavyers is Danish-made sailcloth canvas (probably in bolts) in
this usage.  Poldavyers is a coarse canvas used for sacking and sailcloth.

> Was further written:
>
> Corn, in the British usage, tends to be the major grain grown in a region.
> This was very likely rye, if coming out of Northern Europe headed to
> Spain.
>
> Rye was listed separately but as this list was intended to not just
> include what was on the ships but also "...articles which then and in the
> future should be subject to confiscation if taken by a neutral into the
> dominions of any of England's enemies..." perhaps the term was included
> for completeness.  Alternatively they might have been going from one or
> more of the ships cargo manifests and that was how such was listed.
>
> Daniel

It is also possible that it was an indeterminate mix of grains and was
simple called corn rather than maslin, which is more commonly a mix of rye
and wheat.

Bear