[Sca-cooks] Pineapples and their adoption in Europe

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 22 05:18:12 PDT 2006

No, it says "one of the earliest references in 1674," leaving the door open
for earlier references.  Since the first English pineapple was grown in 1661
by John Rose, there are obviously earlier references.  From the blurb, the
article is about the growth of the English pineapple market, not about the
absolute history of the pineapple in Europe, so the references will be to
pineapples in England rather than pineapples in Europe.

The pineapple was encountered on Columbus's second voyage (IIRC) and was
well known to Caribbean sailors of all nations.  The Spanish were
experimenting with hot house grown pineapples in the 1520's, with one being
presented to Charles V (1519-1529), according to Davidson.

Bear

> Alys Katherine mentioned in her review of PPC 81:
> <<< Slightly post-period is "The Pineapple in England" by Sandra
> Sherman which
> starts with one of the earliest references to pineapples in 1674.  There
> are numerous citations of written references with appropriate quotations
> from those sources.  Her sentence sums up the article's intent: "In this
> article, I want to discuss the pineapple's mystery, and its slow
> domestication as an item of consumption on eighteenth-century British
> tables." >>>
>
> When I saw this, my first thought was "Uh oh. Have I been telling
> folks at demos when I run the New World/Old World food game the wrong
> thing about pineapple? I've been mentioning that it was one of the
> fastest New World foods to be adopted in Europe. And yet this article
> is saying "earliest references to pineapples in 1674". Which is well
> out of our period.

<clipped>