[Sca-cooks] Drunken Royal Concubine Chicken

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 22 14:14:53 PDT 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 4:39 PM, hlaislinn at earthlink.net wrote:

> Urtatim wrote:
>
> Stories are nice, and often used to "justify" recipes, but is this
> actually an ancient or SCA period dish?
>
> I did disclaim any knowlege that the meat cakes were actually
> period, and I would say the same goes for the other recipe from
> whatever book it's from. I just posted the chicken-concubine story
> in the hopes that it would jog Adamantius' memory of which book he
> has that the recipes are in.

I can't find my copy now, but the Mongolian Meatloaf recipe (anybody
else remember the episode of "The Honeymooners" in which it is
mentioned that the Gleason character has a special fondness for
"Neapolitan Knockwurst" -- unfortunately, they never reveal what this
is) is in either of two books by Katie Stewart, one of them being
"Wild Blackberry Cobbler And Other Old-Fashioned Recipes". I
remembered the recipe, and had a sort of picture of the book's cover
in my head, and searched for cookbooks with "Blackberry Cobbler" in
the title, until I found one that sounded familiar. Johnnae, using
whatever fiendish resources at her own disposal, agrees with me.

> I'd like to know just to add the source to the bottom of the recipe
> page in my research book.

The book is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Cobbler-Other-Old-Fashioned-Recipes/
dp/0881620645/sr=1-1/qid=1158959072/ref=sr_1_1/104-9835564-4431140?
ie=UTF8&s=books

I have no idea what, if any, historical source was used by the author.

I _think_ the chicken recipe may be in there, too.

> The feastcrat used Al-Bagdadi for other recipes in her feast, so
> she was aware of some medieval sources, most likely The Miscellany
> I would think. At least your forwarded post  said it resembles
> period recipes you are aware of, so the meat cake dish is
> periodoid, which isn't so bad. I wonder if the kotletki dish from
> Russia has its roots in this mongol food type? Being nomadic,
> wouldn't the Mongols have eaten somekind of falafel-type dish too?
> The Arab nomads managed to fry that, why couldn't the mongols fry
> food also?

Just something to think about, but if I may ask, why do you think
nomads fried a felafel-type dish? I don't know myself; maybe they
did, but it sounds like it might be an inefficient use of fuel for a
nomad. And then, there's the question of, what the heck do you do
with the oil after you've used it, and/or how do you carry it?

Sheesh, after I've deep-fried anything, I can't even bring myself to
do more than hide the pan in the oven, generally until the next day ;-)

Adamantius